iCan Bike uses adapted bicycles, a specialized instructional program and trained staff to enable individuals with disabilities to learn to ride a two-wheel bicycle. Riders attend one 75 minute session each day for five consecutive days where they learn to ride while accompanied and encouraged by volunteer “spotters”. Over the course of the week, we continually adjust the bikes in an effort to challenge riders balance as they gradually discover the skill and joy of riding.
Parents, teachers and therapists describe our results as 'miraculou's. Many of our riders have tried for years to learn to ride a bike without success. In one week, approximately 80% of riders will learn to independently ride a two-wheel bicycle. The remaining 20% make tremendous progress towards that goal.
Riders are children ages eight and up as well as teens and adults who have a diagnosed disability and are able to sidestep and walk without assistive devices. Success in learning to ride a bicycle is a major milestone in anyone's life. When learning has been a struggle, the accomplishment and its impact is much greater. We observe that learning to ride a bicycle infuses the rider with confidence and an improved self-image that has a positive ripple effect into many other aspects of their lives. Their families benefit in many ways and volunteers are positively impacted by the experience as well.
Questions? Please contact our School Age Matters Coordinator, Joanie Elfers at firstname.lastname@example.org or 513.761.5400.
Thank you for registering for the iCan Bike Camp! You will receive a detailed email shortly. In the meantime, contact Joanie Elfers at email@example.com or 513.761.5400 with any questions.