8:30 - 9:45 AM • Session 1
10:05 – 11:20 AM • Session 2
11:40 – 12:55 PM • Session 3
2:00 – 3:15 PM • Session 4
3:35 – 4:50 PM • Session 5
iCan Bike uses adapted bicycles, a specialized instructional program and trained staff to enable individuals with disabilities to learn to ride a two-wheel bicycle. Riders attend one 75 minute session each day for five consecutive days where they learn to ride while accompanied and encouraged by volunteer “spotters”. Over the course of the week, we continually adjust the bikes in an effort to challenge riders balance as they gradually discover the skill and joy of riding.
Parents, teachers and therapists describe our results as 'miraculous'. Many of our riders have tried for years to learn to ride a bike without success. In one week, approximately 80% of riders will learn to independently ride a two-wheel bicycle. The remaining 20% make tremendous progress towards that goal.
Success in learning to ride a bicycle is a major milestone in anyone's life. When learning has been a struggle, the accomplishment and its impact is much greater. We observe that learning to ride a bicycle infuses the rider with confidence and an improved self-image that has a positive ripple effect into many other aspects of their lives. Their families benefit in many ways and volunteers are positively impacted by the experience as well.
**PARTICIPANTS WHO REGISTER AFTER JULY 2 ARE NOT GUARANTEED A CAMP SHIRT**
iCan Bike uses a fleet of adapted bicycles, a specialized instructional program and a trained staff to teach individuals with disabilities how to ride a bike.
Be a “spotter” for the same rider for each of the 5 days and experience the thrill of giving the gift of riding a bike! Just 75 invigorating minutes per day… it just may be the most rewarding exercise and emotional experience you’ve ever had!
We encourage you to sign-up for the same time slot all 5 days of camp, but would love to have you join us even if you can only make it one day!
iCan Bike Camp Volunteer Requirements:
NOTE: Dropping-off Riders at the program is not permitted. A parent, legal guardian or other adult authorized to take responsibility for the Rider (e.g. another parent) must remain on site for the duration of the 75-minute program.
What does my rider need for camp?
Overview of iCan Bike Camp
• Floor Supervisor and Bike Technician conduct an orientation with parents (riders should not attend) for about 20 - 30 minutes about camp and purchasing an appropriate bicycle.
Monday - Day #1
• Check-in includes ensuring all riders and volunteers have a name-tag and riders have a properly fitting bike helmet
• Parents can watch riders during the session from the upstairs track area
• Parents may begin to bring rider bikes for assessment by Bike Technician beginning Monday (Day #1) through no later than Thursday (Day #4)
Tuesday - Day #2
• All riders will have an opportunity to ride on our tandem bike with our Bike Technician for assessment of skills and to provide rider with a motivational simulation as to what riding a bike feels like
Wednesday – Day #3
• Riders who the Floor Supervisor believes are ready to ride a conventional two-wheel bike will be given opportunity by Floor Supervisor (generally approximately 25% of riders)
Thursday – Day #4
• Riders who the Floor Supervisor believes are ready to ride a conventional two-wheel bike will be given opportunity (generally approximately 50% of riders)
Friday – Day #5
• Rider’s family members may be trained on how to properly spot their rider for post camp riding, if warranted
• Most, if not all, riders begin riding the bike their family brought to camp to get comfortable riding it (same bike riders will ride after camp)
• Floor Supervisor will ensure that 100% of riders have been provided with an opportunity to ride a two-wheel bicycle unless safety is a concern
• Each of the five 75-minute sessions end 5 minutes early to enable the Camp Director to conduct an awards ceremony for all riders, parents and volunteers in attendance
iCan Bike Camp
iCan Bike Camp
iCan Bike Camp
Thank you! We have received your registration and payment.